College of Medical Sciences (COMS), Bharatpur is affiliated to the Kathmandu University and fully recognized by the Nepal Medical Council. The MBBS course was introduced in 1996.
Further more, the college was recognized by:
The General Medical Council, Great Britain, The ECFMG -U.S.A., The Sri Lankan Medical Council and enlisted in the W.H.O’s World Directory of Medical Schools.
The college has excellent infrastructure and creating the best educational environment in the country having spacious class rooms, air conditioned library, clean hostels, hygienic canteen and furnished accommodation for faculty members.
The International Society for Medical Education Pvt. Ltd. (ISME Pvt. Ltd.) – non profit organisation had an agreement with Government of Nepal, which was signed on 8th August 1993 to establish the College of Medical Sciences – at Bharatpur for medical education, promotion of health and training Para-Medical staff in Nepal.
In reality the institution was established under the pioneer leadership of Mr. Nagender K. Pampati, a young MBA from Boston, USA, the Managing Director and Architect of this newly established Institution. The institution has been continuously progressing under the dynamic leadership of young medical graduate from the same institution and the Director of ISME Pvt. Ltd. Dr. V. Natraj Prasad.
College of Medical Sciences is currently headed by Professor A.C. Patowary, FRCPE, DPH (Edin.) as the principal, who was formerly Professor and Head of the Department of Community Medicine, Guwahati Medical College, Director of Medical Education, Planning and Research and Director of Health Services, Government of Assam, India.
National & International Collaboration
The college has been coordinating and collaborating with various national teaching Institutions like the B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, B.P.Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital, Bharatpur Govt. hospital of Bharatpur.
The college has also liaison with the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh and the Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, (AFRIMS) Bangkok, Thailand. Joint research projects related to local health problems are already under taken with collaboration of these institution.
The college is already extending cooperation to the local practicing medical professionals, private hospitals, and NGOs. Inspiring local students and also inspiring to opt carrier in medicine, nursing and pharmacy. Medical College actively participating in Government Health Services programs. e.g. the Family Welfare Planning & Ophthalmic Care, Immunization and Tuberculosis control etc.
- To function as an independent Centre of Excellence committed for high quality specialized excellent health care services in the Country.
- To conduct research on relevant local health problem for the holistic development of community services and medical education.
- The mission of the college is to develop it to an Institution of excellence amongst the SAARC countries for the high quality Health education.
- Produce skilled and competent medical personnel in various disciplines in medical sciences to fulfill the need of the contemporary society.
- To provide high quality specialized health services to common citizen of Nepal.
- Assist Government of Nepal for implementation of their National Health Services plans.
- Produce skilled and competent human resources in health who are imbued with human values and are capable of serving anywhere in the world.
- Collaboration with Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal in all matters of medical education and services.
- Provide health services of high quality through its various departments.
- Participate in all government health programs as an equal partner in providing health services.
- Motivate students and faculty to conduct research on areas relevant to the health problems of the community.
- Provide facilities for updating health knowledge and technologies.
Supervision and monitoring:
- Adopts scientific methods of the managements for effective and efficient delivery of Health services, Medical education and Research in medical field.
- To establish monitoring and evaluation system for better evaluation of the health services and its implementation.
- Implement faculty and staff development plan.
The CMS as it stands today, is a successful maiden attempt of the ISME Pvt. Ltd. premiere medical institution with high standards in the fields of academics, healthcare and research. The institution has full potential to develop into a center of excellence for medical and super specialty care both nationally and internationally.